today is the day

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 25 20:21:35 UTC 2010

My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that if you dislike
all of the candidates you can formally reject your ballot. You go to the
voting station, obtain a ballot, and then say to the polling officer 'I
reject this ballot'. They have to mark you down, and at the end of the
election, there should be a total available of rejected ballots.

Would be in any way effective as a strategy? I doubt it.

Peter

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 03:46:51PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
>> I wish I could.  I discovered too late that if you buy a house and
>> _then_
>> become a citizen that the city's voter roll is not automatically updated
>> (even though the federal one is).  Since I discovered this after the
>> roll
>> had closed for this election I am unable to vote.
>>
>> So I'm disenfranchied in Australia because I've been gone too long, and
>> now I'm disenfranchied here too :)
>>
>> Well at least the federal roll should have my name.. but I should
>> check...
>
> You can vote.
>
> If you are a resident of toronto and have ID that shows your picture,
> address (in toronto) and has your signature, then you can vote.
>
> http://www.toronto.ca/elections/terms.htm#elector
> http://www.toronto.ca/elections/voters/identification.htm
>
> In the US you have to be on the elector list ahead of time.  In Canada
> you can vote if you are a citizen living in a given area.  That is all
> it takes.  I am not a citizen so I can't vote, but that's the only reason.
>
> Now it is more convinient to have your preregistered voter card and all
> that but it is not a requirement.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325