today is the day

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 25 20:05:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 03:46:51PM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> I wish I could.  I discovered too late that if you buy a house and _then_
> become a citizen that the city's voter roll is not automatically updated
> (even though the federal one is).  Since I discovered this after the roll
> had closed for this election I am unable to vote.
>
> So I'm disenfranchied in Australia because I've been gone too long, and
> now I'm disenfranchied here too :)
>
> Well at least the federal roll should have my name.. but I should check...

You can vote.

If you are a resident of toronto and have ID that shows your picture,
address (in toronto) and has your signature, then you can vote.

http://www.toronto.ca/elections/terms.htm#elector
http://www.toronto.ca/elections/voters/identification.htm

In the US you have to be on the elector list ahead of time.  In Canada
you can vote if you are a citizen living in a given area.  That is all
it takes.  I am not a citizen so I can't vote, but that's the only reason.

Now it is more convinient to have your preregistered voter card and all
that but it is not a requirement.

--
Len Sorensen