today is the day

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 25 23:03:05 UTC 2010

> Well anyone that thinks street cards should be replaced by busses
> because leaving room for cars is a good thing is nuts.  Your best bet
> is to elliminate most cars from downtown.  Other major cities around
> the world have done it and boy does it make things better.

Well said Sorensen.  I really can never get how someone can consider
himself/herself a leader when they are ignorant of such hard fact.

> If transit worked well, people would not want to drive into downtown.
> So the solution is to fix transit, not make it better for cars (because
> you can never make enough room for cars in downtown toronto to avoid
> traffic problems, and the streetcars are not the problem).  If you want
> cars to have an easier time, elliminate pedestrians.  They get in the
> way of cars all the time.  :)
The biggest problem is actually not the space.  If that was the only
problem, I would be open to debating on the pro and cons of being car
friendly.  The biggest problem is sustainability of that mode of
transport.

We have the oil price being $83 per barrel despite all the developed
countries being barely above recession.  It should therefore be
plainly obvious to anybody who consider themselves a leader the moment
growth will reach around 2% in most developed countries, oil prices
will go past $100 again.  Actually, even if we do not have any growth
going forward, we will still have oil selling above $130 in 2015. If
we will still be heavily dependent of oil at that time, that shock
alone will push us back into a recession.

That alone should imply we should be investing every dollars we have
on less oil depended transport mode.  People like Ford are managers,
but I do not unfortunately perceive him as a leader.  Sure, he may
balance the budget, but what good is that if he leaves the city barely
unable to survive an impending calamity. We have been running
governments like business and we will pay dearly for it.

> --
> Len Sorensen
William