today is the day

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 25 21:24:39 UTC 2010

On 10/25/2010 04:57 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> The idea that cutting down the cost of councillors would make an
> important difference in the city's budget is ludicrous and yet that is
> the centre of his platform.

I read an article, perhaps by Thomas Walkom at the Star (I don't
remember), where this issue was discussed. I think the author was spot
on when he wrote that while it's true that even if they eliminated 100%
of the councillors and their expenditures on running their respective
offices it wouldn't amount to enough to make a big difference, Ford's
political opponents misread the populace who aren't just looking for
"Big Ideas" but also symbolic gestures. He went on to write that while
it may amount to a token amount for Kyle Rae, for example, to spend
$12,000 on a going away party funded by the public, that really incenses
many taxpayers because they view it as a symptom of a bigger problem,
namely that public funds are spent in a cavalier fashion.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis