today is the day

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 25 20:00:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 03:36:02PM -0400, Timothy Hildred wrote:
> i will stand by my right to call rob ford supporters idiots and myself
> friendly.
>
> this is the guy who says that cyclists deserve what they get, when they get
> hit by cars. sounds like an idiot to me!

Yes that does qualify one to be called an idiot.

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Lennart Sorensen <
> lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 03:05:26PM -0400, Mike Kallies wrote:
> > > Could any Ford supporter comment on how Rob Ford is running on a transit
> > > platform which looks suspiciously like the old one his father helped can
> > > in 1995?
> > >
> > > The thought of another 180 degree shift in transit "vision" actually
> > > makes me angry.
> > >
> > > I vehemently oppose Rob Ford because of his preposterous transit plan.
> > > Everything else on this campaign is fluff.
> >
> > Well anyone that thinks street cards should be replaced by busses
> > because leaving room for cars is a good thing is nuts.  Your best bet
> > is to elliminate most cars from downtown.  Other major cities around
> > the world have done it and boy does it make things better.
> >
> > If transit worked well, people would not want to drive into downtown.
> > So the solution is to fix transit, not make it better for cars (because
> > you can never make enough room for cars in downtown toronto to avoid
> > traffic problems, and the streetcars are not the problem).  If you want
> > cars to have an easier time, elliminate pedestrians.  They get in the
> > way of cars all the time.  :)

In fact catering to drivers reminds me of playing simcity.  There was
always complaints about "We want more roads for our cars" and no matter
how many expensive to maintain roads you made, there was always too
much traffic and polution and they still wanted more roads.  The only
way to do well in simcity was to ignore the vocal minority that wanted
to drive their cars and make a good public transit system instead.

--
Len Sorensen