high-spec Dell netbook; Re: Dell 27" monitor on sale

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 20 17:32:53 UTC 2010

Another interesting Dell netbook deal.
<http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-mini1012/pd?oc=ni102_wk12_1e&model_id=inspiron-mini1012>

- $379 for the next couple of days, so not cheap
+ 1366x768 resolution 10" screen
+ Crystal HD Broadcom Media Accelerator
+ bluetooth (but why does it mention USB?)
+ 250GB disk
+ 6-cell battery
- looks like wireless is only G, not N
- only 1GiB RAM
- only 10/100M ethernet

Evan: get one so you can ditch netbook remixes :-)

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| It is a very nice screen.  Not quite as huge as the 2560x1600 16:10
| 30" (3008WFP), but almost as high a resolution (simply a 16:9 version
| instead).  Best price I have ever seen the 30" on sale is $1500, so
| getting 90% of that screen (just about) for about half that is quite nice.

| It will NOT make a good TV, but it does make a really nice monitor.

I posted a deal for a different Dell 30" for $900 June of 2009.  You
didn't like it because it could only do two resolutions (no scaler).
I think that only really matters if you want it as a TV.

I'm happy with my older Dell 30".  I would not like to lose the 10% height.

A quick look suggests that Dell's only 30" is the U3011 now ($1599,
not on sale).

| Yeah I would love one, but I am dropping $1000 on a timing belt change
| on my car today, and really don't need another monitor just now. :)

Bad timing, eh?