SanDisk mp3 player not seen

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 15 14:24:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 07:43:48PM -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>    After running lsusb twice, it showed up.
>
>    I copied some tracks to it; only some were copied, and I can play
>    them.
>
>    I reconnected it to the USB port, and it doesn't show up, either
>    with lsusb or fdisk -l.
>
>    dmesg shows:
>
> usb 2-5: device not accepting address 60, error -71
> hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 5
> usb 2-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 61
> usb 2-5: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 2-5: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 2-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 62
> usb 2-5: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 2-5: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> usb 2-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 63
> usb 2-5: device not accepting address 63, error -71
> hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 5

Well a few possibilities:

You have a bad USB cable.
You have a bad USB port.
You have a bad USB device.
You have a bad USB driver (I saw this a few years ago in a certain
kernel version).

Certainly your USB isn't working properly when connecting that device,
which makes it unreliable.

--
Len Sorensen