Fwd: Ubuntu 10.10 is Released

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 11 05:08:47 UTC 2010

On 10-10-10 07:00 AM, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> It's official, the release is *finally* out!

i've had a chance to install kubuntu x64 10.10 on my laptop running on
vmware and it looks solid and runs smooth. the previous version 10.04
would hang on me during shutdown or reboot.

test system
my hardware (HP pavilion dv7)
cpu intel i7 with 4GB of ram running on win7
kubuntu running in vmware about 1GB ram

on kubuntu 10.10 i've installed all my packages, compiled a few that i
needed to have a working development platform, everything went smoothly.

i installed netbeans (a java hog-ware), had it running with firefox
playing a music video on youtube and the performance on it was
excellent, i could switch between apps, load web pages, create a simple
rails app see it run and life is good.

audio works fine, to get amarok working with mp3 and streaming audio you
will need to do the following

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-restricted-extras libxine-extracodecs

there seems to be a minor bug with flash, sometimes i need to refresh
the browser to get flash to work, other than this i have not noticed any
other annoying quirks

my current xubuntu 10.04 setup running xfce has been replaced with
kubuntu 10.10 on my laptop, i am loving it!

i don't know if the new version runs faster than the previous, or if kde
is more solid, etc. i plan to keep 10.04 on my desktop and not upgrade
yet, as i see no reason to, i just didn't like xubunut on my laptop much.

i have to add this release went better then 10.04, i recall having
issues with 10.04 for a while and, it took weeks for the initial bugs to
get fixed before i was able to install a solid 10.04

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav