No sound in ubuntu 10.04 under X-Windows

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 11 00:02:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 00:36 -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Suggested approach:
>
> - muck about looking for a relevant setting

More mucking around in the same settings made me notice that there were
some settings under System|Preferences|Sound that only worked under
certain conditions. For example, I could test the speakers (Hardware
tab) if "Settings were selected Device" was set to "Analog" and not
"Digital". Under digital, these buttons would disappear (and so would
the sound), but when I saw the buttons, I could test them and the sound
came back. I take it this is a "feature" of Ubuntu.

I also upgraded to 10.10. Not too many obvious changes, although I like
the "Ubuntu Software Centre" (is this new, or have I just noticed this
now?)

Paul