[Bulk] Re:starting a service on use

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 10 16:30:59 UTC 2010

On 10/10/10 1:20 AM, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> On 10-10-08 09:56 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 06:52:12PM -0400, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>>> how do i start a service when a request comes in?
>>> i don't want the service running when the system boots up.
>

>> So really, if you want a service, run it all the time, unless it supports
>> inetd, in which case it can handle it.
>
> i trying to setup a headless x11vnc server...

Now we have a better idea of what kind of service you're trying to start.

If you happen to have Apache running on your server, you could piggyback
on the proxy mechanism. I can look up some specifics, if you're
interested, but the basic idea is to configure Apache to run a script
based on a certain URL. That script should start your VNC server. The
start up script can then throw away the proxy connection from Apache.

I'm not sure how you could stop the VNC server. Maybe another script
that located the VNC server process, by knowing the portno it's using,
then killing the process.

--
Yanni