Why not to buy cheap power supplies

Mike el.fontanero-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 7 15:44:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 07:48:08PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
>> On 10-10-06 06:01 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> > Here is a "500W" power supply being tested at 420W load.
>> >
>> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCwgK_fvZ6I
>> >
>> > It was the second one they tried just in case the first one was a fluke.
>>
>> There is a very good reason why I've advocated for quality PSUs. Over
>> the last 15 years I have seen no end of fuxxored systems that were
>> killed by cheap power supplies.
>>
>> The axiom "You get what you paid for" was made for PSUs.
>
> I don't think that power supply was even worth what one would pay for it.

Over the years, I've come to realize that as with so many things, "You
get what you pay for" turns out not to be the axiom it's supposed to
be. Rather, it's a kind of curve from there through an inflection
point right on through to "You pay for what you get".

This is related, perhaps, to the point of diminishing returns.

Oh, how I miss Douglas Adams...

Cheers,
Mike