IPv4 to IPv6...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 7 15:25:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 10:37:49PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> No.  Those devices could be connected via V.35 serial port or IP.  If
> using IP over ADSL, there'd be a router that connected to the ADSL line.
> The router would be configured to provided an IPSec VPN between sites.  I
> have also used IP over fibre, microwave and SHDSL, where those devices
> were simply an ethernet bridge.  The serial port is used to connect via
> ISDN, using an ISU or fractional T1, using a TSU, or sometimes via a TDM
> multiplexer with a V.35 card.  Depending on the model, they could handle
> up to 24 extensions.  The bandwidth required depended on the compression
> used.  They used a proprietary protocol and not SIP.

s/IP over ADSL/Ethernet over ADSL/

There is no such thing as IP over ADSL.  You can run IP on ethernet
which ADSL can carry, or you can run IP on PPPoE over ethernet which
ADSL can carry.

You can have bridged ethernet mode, or PPPoE mode (which actually still
uses bridged ethernet but is generally limited in what ethernet traffic
it will carry).  Nothing wrong with running IPX over a bridged ethernet
ADSL link if you wanted to, although why you would want to I can't
imagine.  The modem doesn't care.

--
Len Sorensen