IPv4 to IPv6...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 20:15:17 UTC 2010

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > Are you saying that it only supports NAPT?  Without NAPT, I would
| > expect it to be agnostic about the LAN IP addresses.
| >
| Yes, those boxes provided an RFC1918 address.

You didn't answer the question that I intended.

"provide" is ambiguous.  "offer"?  "only support"?  Usually these things
are configurable on the router.

|  I don't know if the Bell side
| was also RFC1918, as some ISPs provide.

Not usually, at least in North America.  Some countries are so short
of IP addresses that ISPs may do that.

|  For example Rogers does that to my
| smart phone.

Well smart phones are often second-class citizens.  Some kind of
cultural thing.

| It's bad enough when a customer uses NAT, as they can set up forwarding etc.
| to get around it.  That option is not available when the ISP uses it.

Yes.  I hate imposed NAPT.

(I call it NAPT because it requires Address and Port translation.)