IPv4 to IPv6...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 18:11:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 01:20:52PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> At some point, you're going to hit some equipment, such as a router,
> that only understands IP.  As I mentioned in another note, Bell is in
> the habit of supplying ADSL modems that only work with IP.

They do now.  They didn't always.  Also many ISPs don't do that.  I don't
think anyone in their right mind would sign up for service from Bell.
The horror stories about their service and billing departments are
just awful.

> I don't know enough about DOCSIS to know where the problem lies,
> however, "design mistakes" are common in a lot of areas.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if they filtered for IPv4 only, in order to keep non IP
> protocols off the cable networks.  IPX anyone?

That is certainly a possibility.  I could see why they might want to
do that.

--
Len Sorensen