IPv4 to IPv6...

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 6 17:20:52 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well I don't think Bell's network needs to know anything about IP.

At some point, you're going to hit some equipment, such as a router,
that only understands IP.  As I mentioned in another note, Bell is in
the habit of supplying ADSL modems that only work with IP.

> In the case of the cable modem, they seem to use MAC addreses on each
> modem and essentially appear as ethernet bridges and even use DHCP
> (which really only works on ethernet like networks), so I would be
> surprised if DOCSIS had any part in which version of IP they can run.
> It would seem like a design mistake if they needed to know.  Of course
> that doesn't mean they didn't make such a design mistake.

I don't know enough about DOCSIS to know where the problem lies,
however, "design mistakes" are common in a lot of areas.  I wouldn't be
surprised if they filtered for IPv4 only, in order to keep non IP
protocols off the cable networks.  IPX anyone?