Zyxel Linux firmware sources

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 3 19:51:48 UTC 2010

| From: Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Still the way in which the software must be requested, by email, is dodgy.
| Anyway, that's the way they want it then well that's it. I assume that they
| continue to try to put liens on it by claiming you cannot publish it or
| otherwise display it?! That's the only reason I know for not putting it on a
| website.

The original GPL predates ubiquitous internet.  So putting it up for
internet download doesn't technically satisfy the GPL.  That may be
why they offer the source through an email request -- strict adherence
to the GPL.

You should get a copy of the GPLed code with no additional
restrictions (modulo patent and trademark issues).  That's what the
GPL requires.

You would then be free to put it on the internet yourself.  Perhaps
github?

Note: the source you get is most likely not enough for you to build a new
firmware load.  Parts of the firmware image likely include proprietary
things like a GUI for operating the device.  The manufacturer will
probably claim that kernel modules to drive specific devices are not
GPLed; this claim is common but not clearly true.