The myth of 1% Linux market share.

ted leslie ted.leslie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 30 17:14:25 UTC 2010

Its no where near 10% or 8%.
In both neighborhoods i have lived in recently were I have talked to
neighbors about computers, I was only linux user.
In my family, cousins, uncles, parents, brothers, etc ....  3 linux
users (that includes my wife), 4 mac users, ~100 windows users.
In my job were i supported a linux boot CD/DVD to a work force of
100's (1000's but i actually only interfaced with 100's)  1 linux user
(a son of one of employees),
but that was of a populous made up of work at home people 80% female.
HP published something way back about 2% linux users in tech support.
Factoring outside NA, i would guess  +/- .5% , linux
desktop/MID/netbook use at 2%,
in NA i would guess 1% to 1.5% (+/- .5%).
If it was anywhere close to 8-10%, you wouldn't call up rogers , or
bell, or your bank , with tech support issues, and have them treat you
like you were from another planet.
As well ubuntu's download number, and other distro's even factoring in
that one download, can led to a few installs, etc, etc, it is hard to
get it above 2%.
You can believe it is 8-10%, but I am 99.9999% sure you are way  way off base.
If linux can dominate PVR, cellphones, MIDS, fridges, TV's, etc, etc,
yeah it can grow to 10+%, but you are going outside the "desktop" use.
The problem Linux has is, Vista was BAD, apple has marketing money,
they went from <1% to 6-8% (with help too from their i-crap products),
but Linux doesn't market, so they can't generally succeed in a space
that involved marketing to gain growth.
I bought Win7 because it is brutal using VISTA, and i have to use
Visio because linux has nothing even in the same universe as Visio
(unfortunately).
And, guess what, Win7 is actually "OK", and I can tell you its now not
a product that people have to escape from , if they are MS cool-aid
drinkers.
Win7 doesn't crash, its fairly fast startup/shutdown, sleep/hiber work
well, security warning are reasonable. Having said that, there is bugs
in Visio that they should fix,
but that is an app. issue. Bottom line is Win7 is very usable, and
Vista was not. There is no reason for your typical pablum feed Windows
user to now seek out a alternative.
Linux will only now gain traction in the small device (and embedded)
market, which is probably why Mark Shuttleworth is doing the desktop
gui changes to Ubuntu, its directed at that segment.
In fact, I would guess Linux and especially Mac may actually lose some
on the desktop going forward, as for the first time in a long time, MS
isn't selling pure crap now.
(and with intel catching up on the MID device chips, that opens up for
Windows too unfortunately, makes having to use Win on MIDS less of a
engineering issue).

Now having said all that, if Russia, and others really are
standardizing their country on Linux, well obviously that will led to
greater % of adoption in time as well.

anyways, its 2% (you heard it hear first)    :)

call up 500 people at random from a phone book of GTA, do a poll, if
you get more then 10 linux users in that poll, i'd be really
surprised.
That is a way you can easily get your answer.

tl