RAID Controllers in GTA

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 17:49:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 10:29:33AM -0500, Jason Shaw wrote:
> I'm in need of a reasonably priced ($150-$200) PCI-e SATA RAID controller
> for a VMWware ESXi server.  My client is in a bit of a rush to get this
> together, so I'm wondering what brick and mortar stores you might recommend
> for such a controller that are in the GTA?
>
> I found one supported controller in the price range at Canada Computers but
> it is back-ordered, so I can't grab it today.

Hardware raid I would assume.  How many ports does it need?

There are some Areca 2 and 4 port cards for $200-$300 range at greytech,
and they seem to be able to get them to you in a couple of days.

I highly doubt any store would stock such items in store in general.

In general, adaptec, promise and all the generic brands (bytecc, soma,
etc) are not hardware raid, and are often a pain to use with linux.
A few of their cards are hardware raid, but it can be hard to find out
which ones that is.

--
Len Sorensen