RAID Controllers in GTA

Jason Shaw grazer-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 29 18:03:36 UTC 2010

That's the card my client is going with.  The problem we ran into is
that his Dell SC1425 server has a CERC software assisted SATA RAID
controller on it, which ESXi does not support.

For the time being, I have just installed CentOS 5.5 on it along with
VMware Server 2.0.2. CentOS recognized the raid mirroring and plays
nicely with it out of the box, so we have redundancy, which was the
main concern.  Once the RAID controller comes in, we'll backup the
virtual machines to another box, run them there temporarily, install
the new controller in this box, build the array, install ESXi, copy
the VMs back over and be good to go!

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm somewhat new to the city and so I
don't know where to pickup the good deals in town.  NCIX looks to be a
decent place to mailorder from, assuming they have the stock here in
Toronto.

-jason

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Lennart Sorensen