ups power supply

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 26 12:35:04 UTC 2010

On 26 November 2010 02:16, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am considering purchasing a ups power supply, I have 2 box with 2
> monitors, once it CRT, the other is a LCD. I want to spend at most $100, and
> really need it to protect my system from sudden power loss. I just need
> enough time to be able to shut down the system properly, 20 min max running
> off battery.
>
> Is anyone here using a UPS, do you have any suggestions?

I think your specs are way too high for the money you're willing to
spend.  For $50-80 you'll generally get a UPS that will support one
box without wall power for 10-15 minutes - and that's with an LCD
monitor.  CRTs draw three times the power that LCDs do (generally
around 65w as opposed to 20w).  Standard desktop boxes will draw
anywhere from 60w to 100w ... possibly more if you have a P4?

If you don't have more money, I would suggest picking one machine to
designate "critical," attach the LCD and the UPS to it, and save
frequently on the other machine.  I've found that with EXT3, crashes
pretty much never result in filesystem problems: it's been a huge
improvement on EXT2.

And don't, whatever you do, hook a laser printer to your UPS: their
start-up draw will break anything but an industrial size UPS.  Even
when wall power is on.

Good luck.

--
Giles