ups power supply

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 26 18:09:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 26 November 2010 02:16, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I am considering purchasing a ups power supply, I have 2 box with 2
>> monitors, once it CRT, the other is a LCD. I want to spend at most $100, and
>> really need it to protect my system from sudden power loss. I just need
>> enough time to be able to shut down the system properly, 20 min max running
>> off battery.
>>
>> Is anyone here using a UPS, do you have any suggestions?
>
> I think your specs are way too high for the money you're willing to
> spend.  For $50-80 you'll generally get a UPS that will support one
> box without wall power for 10-15 minutes - and that's with an LCD
> monitor.  CRTs draw three times the power that LCDs do (generally
> around 65w as opposed to 20w).  Standard desktop boxes will draw
> anywhere from 60w to 100w ... possibly more if you have a P4?
>
> If you don't have more money, I would suggest picking one machine to
> designate "critical," attach the LCD and the UPS to it, and save
> frequently on the other machine.  I've found that with EXT3, crashes
> pretty much never result in filesystem problems: it's been a huge
> improvement on EXT2.
>
> And don't, whatever you do, hook a laser printer to your UPS: their
> start-up draw will break anything but an industrial size UPS.  Even
> when wall power is on.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Giles
> http://www.gilesorr.com/
> gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
> --

good suggestion, i plan to only have one system running(most of the
time). i can just hook the pc to the UPS and keep monitor and printer
on a separate surge protected power bar.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1