Cognitive Dissonance and Linux

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 21:59:27 UTC 2010

> Imagine the jobs lost because you didn't have to keep replacing vacuum
> tubes.

There were hundreds of little TV and radio repair shops. Schomberg, a tiny
hamlet when I grew up there, had two TV repair shops. One of them was very
helpful in steering leftover bits to me. From Mr. Jackson I learned that a
tube amplifier needed to have a power supply to function.

Every drug store had a 'tube tester', with a bunch of tubes for sale in
the bottom part of the stand. Anyone moderately handy would extract the
tubes from their set and take them down to be tested.

Mr. Jackson provided me with my first TV, it was an enormous wooden case
with a round CRT about 8 inches in diameter. If the temperature was just
right, the picture would stop rolling over. It wasn't much good for
entertainment (we had two TV stations with such fare as the Juliette show
and Mark Kenny's Ranch.) but it was excellent for raising the temperature
in my bedroom in the winter.

There are still a few electronics repair shops, but they are a dying
trade. I think most of them are re-employed de-lousing computers and
recovering data.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto