Use and capture of the "time" command

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 15 22:18:28 UTC 2010

I'm  trying to time some commands and dump the output to a running
log. For some reason unknown to me, the time command always seems to
spit directly to my terminal, even when I'm redirecting stdout and
stderr.

Anyone know what's going on. For example, this should be dumping to a
file, not my screen like...

root at linux: ~# time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=5000 > /tmp/foo.txt 2>&1

real	0m0.037s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.040s

Perhaps I'm just short of caffeine and doing something incredibly
dumb, but it doesn't seem right

I checked the man-page and it says any arguments after the command
following "time" are considered arguments of said command, so I
thought perhaps it was interpreting it like

time $( dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=5000 > /tmp/foo.txt 2>&1 )

In that case, I should have be able to override using...

echo $( time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=5000 > /tmp/foo.txt 2>&1 )

But I get the same thing. output to the screen and nada in /tmp/foo.txt
Anyone know what's up with this?