any recommendations for GPS logger suitable for OpenStreetMap work?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 14 13:39:28 UTC 2010

On 10-11-14 07:53 , bob 295 wrote:
> I'm looking to map the many walking trails in and around where I live.   I've
> never owned a GPS much less a GPS logger.   Any thoughts on what type I
> should purchase?   I was hoping to stay under $100 if possible.

I think Richard Weait's on the list, but basically you need something:

1) that can log a trackpoint every second
2) that has a decent antenna
3) that can store a lot of trackpoints.

My Blackberry, running bbtracker, does 1 & 3 well, but fails so badly on
2 that it's useless for generating tracks. It wanders +/- 20m or so even
with a good signal.

I'd compare what you can get at Canada GPS
<http://www.canadagps.com/home.html> with the OSM user reviews at
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews>. I use a big old
(expensive, alas) Garmin unit myself, but if I were getting a GPS
logger, I'd probably spring for something that could at least display
the time. Without a time display, it's harder to sync your camera to the
GPS track. The Holux M-241, though not the very newest chipset, looks
adequately hackable, and is under $100. Haven't used it myself, though.

 Stewart