How to win friends

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 11 15:55:23 UTC 2010

Me: Your web page crashed when I was trying to order parts.

Future Electronic Support Person: What were you doing when it crashed?

M: Well, the first time, I entered a purchase order number with a dash in it.

F: You can't do that.

M: Shouldn't you fix your web page so that you *can* do that? Or warn the
customers that they can't do that?

F: I will report your problem to our IT department.

M: Do you have some sort of system that catches these crashes and
automatically reports them to the software people?

F: No, We prefer our customers to report problems to us. What happended on
the second crash?

M: I have no idea. I had just completed the address information and
selected checkout. The screen filled with technical error messages. I hit
the back button and my information was erased. I don't have these problems
on the web pages of other companies.

F: Well, all company web pages have their quirks..

M: I don't have these problems on the Digikey, Avnet, Mouser or Newark
order pages. Can I please speak to a human being who can take my order?

F: I will refer you to a sales agent. However, you should be warned that
some of the prices may be higher, and minimum quantity requirements may be
higher.

Doesn't that conversation give you the warm fuzzies? Don't you really want
to deal with them again?

I thought so.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto