Grub2 grumbles

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 10 15:32:43 UTC 2010

On 9 November 2010 23:03, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 10-11-09 12:48 PM, Timothy Hildred wrote:
>>
>> So instead of editing the grub.cfg you edit /etc/boot.d/40_custom to
>> include an entry like the one described above:
>>

>> menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)" {
>>        insmod part_msdos
>>        insmod ntfs
>>        set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
>>        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set aa1ccf831ccf48d1
>>        drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
>>        chainloader +1
>> }
>>
>> and then run your update-grub.
>
> Timothy is right, read up on grub, if i recall you can define your own
> custom stuff in a template config file, grub will use it when generating a
> new config file.
>
> also i moved my window boot menu by editing the grub.cfg by hand, and have
> performed many updates. after each kernel update and one upgrade from 10.04
> to 10.10 my window menu placement has not changed. could be coincident, not
> 100% sure!

I'm with Hugh on this.  Your choices are

1) write very complex scripts, if you have the time and the knowledge,
in /etc/boot.d/ that the next GRUB update will blow away (yes, yes,
you can tell it not to but then you may break the update),

2) edit grub.cfg manually and have it blown away every time you
install a new kernel, or

3) use 40_custom to create permanent extra entries ... except that the
autogenerated entries Hugh and I DON'T WANT still precede our custom
entries from 40_custom on the boot list.

I understand the motivation behind the move to GRUB2.  But the
execution has SUCKED.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/