Grub2 grumbles

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 10 04:03:34 UTC 2010

On 10-11-09 12:48 PM, Timothy Hildred wrote:
> So instead of editing the grub.cfg you edit /etc/boot.d/40_custom to
> include an entry like the one described above:
>

> menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)" {
>         insmod part_msdos
>         insmod ntfs
>         set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
>         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set aa1ccf831ccf48d1
>         drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
>         chainloader +1
> }
>
> and then run your update-grub.

Timothy is right, read up on grub, if i recall you can define your own
custom stuff in a template config file, grub will use it when generating
a new config file.

also i moved my window boot menu by editing the grub.cfg by hand, and
have performed many updates. after each kernel update and one upgrade
from 10.04 to 10.10 my window menu placement has not changed. could be
coincident, not 100% sure!

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1