Atom 330 drives only enough pins for 32-bit physical addresses

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 5 21:00:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 04:03:27PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> The Acer Revo uses the nVidia ION chipset.  I understand that it
> handles more than 4G of physical address space.  But no matter: the
> CPU won't deliver (if I understand the specs properly, and I admit
> that the wording isn't clear).

It is limited to 4GB.

> I guess I should poke Intel to see if my interpretation of the spec is
> correct.

The Atom 330 (and 230) certainly do not support memory remapping, so
you will loose some ram between 3 and 4GB no matter what.  The number
of address lines listed in the data sheet have apparently been somewhat
messed up with different editions showing different values.  Apparently
atoms were 32bit address only.  Not sure if newer models can address
more memory, but certainly the 230/330 can not.  Some have 64bit code
support, but they did not have 64bit address support.

--
Len Sorensen