draw a pretty timeline graphic w/ text?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 4 18:19:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:56 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The Graphviz plug-in for Trac enabled me to create diagrams that could be
> viewed right in the wiki without having to download an attachment. I could
> have done that by exporting a Kivio diagram to PNG too, but the advantage of
> the Graphviz plug-in is that I can have hyperlinks in the various symbols to
> other diagrams, Trac tickets, Trac wiki pages, changesets, any web site, in
> short, anything that has a URL.

That's rather cool!  It doesn't *quite* press me to look into Trac,
(Which, by the way, is also an early macro programming language from
the 1960s!  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRAC_(programming_language)>)

But I like Graphviz plenty well.

> You express the elements and relationships
> between those elements textually and Graphviz lays out the graphs using dot.
> I was fine with the layout it generated so I didn't have to tweak it at all
> but I did have the option of changing the layout if I wanted to.

Any time I have tried to do better than Graphviz, in its layout, I
wind up losing!  ;-)