DDR RAM more expensive than DDR2 RAM?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri May 28 15:09:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010, Digimer wrote:

> Going back to the 30 pin days, I always saw RAM start expensive, drop to a
> point and then go back up. I've yet to see a RAM technology where it's price
> couldn't be graphed as a "U" shape.
>
> It's true, fewer people want the old technology. However, even less people
> make it, so, the price goes up.

This exactly matches my experience since the 30 pin days as well.

People coming in for older ram see the higher price, do their sums and
realise that upgrading the system/motherboard offes a better deal[1].  As
a result this process is a positive feedback loop.

The computer industry is responsible for an enormous amount of hardware
waste.

[1] Newer, faster system with as much ram as they were going to buy, for
not too much more.

Rob

--
Email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org		Linux counter ID #16440