DDR RAM more expensive than DDR2 RAM?

Digimer linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri May 28 00:31:18 UTC 2010

On 10-05-27 08:27 PM, E K wrote:
> I went to Spadina and College area looking for a RAM to upgrade an old laptop. To my surprise, I found out that the older and slower DDR module is way more expensive than the newer and better DDR2.
>
> The guys explained the pricing in terms of demand and supply. However, I had expected the demand for memory upgrade to be highly elastic which means higher price will discourage people from upgrading (specially in the light of getting a new one for at such cheap price and the complication of upgrading) and reduce the demand which in turn increases enviromental waste.
>
> EK

Going back to the 30 pin days, I always saw RAM start expensive, drop to
a point and then go back up. I've yet to see a RAM technology where it's
price couldn't be graphed as a "U" shape.

It's true, fewer people want the old technology. However, even less
people make it, so, the price goes up.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org