two bargains? MB+CPU; 1U server

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 27 18:44:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> NewEgg.ca's "Shell Shocker" (one-day deal) looks reasonable:
> Biostar Motherboard + AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor for $84.98, free
> shipping.  $10 Mail In Rebate (the 84.98 price is without the rebate;
> they, of course, quote 74.98).
> <http://www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShocker.aspx>
>
> Dell's "SMB Days" (a few one-day deals, in sequence) today includes a
> PowerEdge R210 server with no OS for what looks to me to be a good
> price, $899.  I don't know much about rack-mount servers except that
> they are too noisy for my house.  I infer that the Xeon X3430
> processor is like an i5.
> <http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=cabsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&dgc=AF&cid=27563&lid=1428989&acd=CAqD7bLWUPI-BRBiQo3eqRBVc6YQQNPUnA>
>
> Oh, they have a massively discounted D-Link DSM-330 HD Media Player
> ($199.99 discounted to $59.99).  I think that this line has been
> eclipsed by the WDTV-Live, Asus OPlay, Patriot Box Office, etc.  All
> these things run Linux.
> <http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Adapters_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A2973959>

I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like the media player grabs
files from computer(s) on your network so that they can be streamed,
but doesn't actually have a drive of it's one?

Other than the wireless, I've seen a few different devices that work
similarly but also have the HDD, like this:
  http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=43886&vpn=90-YTM60210-UAL0MZ&manufacture=ASUS

If you've got a samba server running constantly though, that DSM-330
might work nicely. Too bad I couldn't find anything on custom firmware
for it, since it might be a fun hacking project.

-
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2/CLA

“It can takes months to gain a customer, but only seconds to lose one"