two bargains? MB+CPU; 1U server

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 27 18:32:49 UTC 2010

NewEgg.ca's "Shell Shocker" (one-day deal) looks reasonable:
Biostar Motherboard + AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor for $84.98, free
shipping.  $10 Mail In Rebate (the 84.98 price is without the rebate;
they, of course, quote 74.98).
<http://www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShocker.aspx>

Dell's "SMB Days" (a few one-day deals, in sequence) today includes a
PowerEdge R210 server with no OS for what looks to me to be a good
price, $899.  I don't know much about rack-mount servers except that
they are too noisy for my house.  I infer that the Xeon X3430
processor is like an i5.
<http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=cabsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&dgc=AF&cid=27563&lid=1428989&acd=CAqD7bLWUPI-BRBiQo3eqRBVc6YQQNPUnA>

Oh, they have a massively discounted D-Link DSM-330 HD Media Player
($199.99 discounted to $59.99).  I think that this line has been
eclipsed by the WDTV-Live, Asus OPlay, Patriot Box Office, etc.  All
these things run Linux.
<http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Adapters_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A2973959>