GPS based data acquisition?

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 26 04:06:46 UTC 2010

Folks -

As part of an ongoing study of light pollution, I'd like to be able to
automatically acquire data from a light meter and plot it on a map, while
driving over a route.

I have the light meter sorted out: it's a voltmeter equipped with a light
sensor. The voltmeter can be queried from a PC host over a USB connection
and provide an ASCII data string representing light level. The voltmeter
appears to be a serial port periferal.

I have a GPS receiver (the microsoft 'streets and trips hardware) that
talks to its software via USB, and I suspect it looks like a serial port
device. However, I can buy some other hardware if that simplifies the
application.

So what is needed is some sort of app that can be programmed to fire
requests to a 'serial port device' and then simultaneously capture the
data that comes back and the GPS coordinates.

Anyone have suggestions where to start with this?

Thanks -
Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto