Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

Michael Lauzon mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 22 11:31:47 UTC 2010

Has anyone read this article "Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than
Ubuntu?", if so, what are your thoughts, if you haven't here is a
brief excerpt with a link to the full 6 page article to follow:

"Often when we are preparing for cross-distribution comparisons or
benchmarks of different operating systems (like our recent Mac OS X
10.6 vs. Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 10.04 benchmarks) we are often asked to
include Arch Linux in the mix. This is usually on the basis of
including a rolling-release distribution to provide a performance look
at a constantly evolving distribution with many of the most recent
open-source packages rather than a traditional distribution with
packages that may be months older. Many of those requesting Arch be
included in our testing mix also claim that Arch performs
significantly faster than Ubuntu and our usual test candidates. The
main reason we do not deliver many benchmarks of Arch, Gentoo, or
other distributions that use a rolling release approach is that they
are not very reproducible with their results since their packages are
frequently changing and there are more end-user customizations going
on compared to most other distributions. However, to test the
performance claims of Arch versus others, we have compared the
performance of the newest Arch 2010.05 media against Ubuntu Linux."

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_arch_faster&num=1

--
Sincerely,

Michael Lauzon