Booting order / SATA onboard / IDE card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 14 18:33:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:20:26AM -0700, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> A bunch of our machines here use software RAID in case a drive goes
> kablooey. We had some "issues" with LILO, but after swapping the
> problematic machines to GRUB it's been fine.
>
> There's not actually a lot of data on them, so the primary intent is
> that if one drive crashes, it can still boot from the other and not
> require a bunch of time to reinstall/reconfigure the OS. Backups (at
> least of /etc) are nice too though... corruption or dual-drive-failure
> can still occur, and we have had one fail followed by another within a
> day period, but it does save time on single-drive-failure issues.

Certainly corruption can happen.  raid is to protect against disk
failures, not to protect against filesystem errors (after all the
filesystem should be identically stored on both drives in raid1).
It is no substitute for backups.  It just prevents annoying downtime
and reinstallation in case a disk fails.

--
Len Sorensen