Booting order / SATA onboard / IDE card

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 14 18:20:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 01:28:06PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> Why would anyone not raid everything?  Do you like wasting half a day
>> reinstalling the OS when the drive fails?  Sure you didn't loose your
>> data because it was on raid, but you lost access to your data, which is
>> almost as bad.
>>
>> People who think swap and the OS don't need to be on raid when the data
>> is are just amazingly stupid.  If the machine crashses in the middle of
>> an access, it doesn't matter that your data is on raid, you can still
>> screw it up.
>>
>> You put it all on raid or you don't bother.
>
> How do you put OS partition on a raid?
>
> Don't you have to use either hardware raid card or builtin chipset on
> motherboard?  If so, how do you move your disks to another computer, if
> your raid card or motherboard dies?
>
> --
> William

A bunch of our machines here use software RAID in case a drive goes
kablooey. We had some "issues" with LILO, but after swapping the
problematic machines to GRUB it's been fine.

There's not actually a lot of data on them, so the primary intent is
that if one drive crashes, it can still boot from the other and not
require a bunch of time to reinstall/reconfigure the OS. Backups (at
least of /etc) are nice too though... corruption or dual-drive-failure
can still occur, and we have had one fail followed by another within a
day period, but it does save time on single-drive-failure issues.

--
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support

“Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu