Will a 60-foot run of CAT-5 ethernet cable work?

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 17:22:59 UTC 2010

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Hmmm. I do recommend having a proper jack or box over a loose "tail."
> They tend to get run over, stretched, tabs broken off, etc etc
>
> Having a box in the wall is nice. You can add a longer patch if needed,
> replace broken patch-cables, unplug for cleaning etc etc. Much nicer IMHO

I thought the box would be better too, for much the same reasons. I
installed a surface mount box. But for a single cable run (the "grand"
plan was for more than one), I don't think it's worth it. And, I think
making reliable connections at the box is harder than it looks.

You can get much the same effect by using a two-way splitter, and
attaching it to the baseboard. I only thought of this later, sadly. The
one problem I see with using a patch cable is that you have to drill a
bigger hole to get the connector through.