Will a 60-foot run of CAT-5 ethernet cable work?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 16:27:15 UTC 2010

Hmmm. I do recommend having a proper jack or box over a loose "tail." They
tend to get run over, stretched, tabs broken off, etc etc

Having a box in the wall is nice. You can add a longer patch if needed,
replace broken patch-cables, unplug for cleaning etc etc. Much nicer IMHO

On 2010-05-12 1:05 PM, "Yanni Chiu" <yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 02:15:17AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>

> >> So my only option, other than "sneakernet", is 60 feet of CAT-5 cable.
> >> Will ethernet wor...

I put in a 50 foot run of CAT-5 through my basement a long time ago. It
worked, then I got wireless. Then the wireless hub went flaky. When I tried
the cable again, I couldn't get it to work, and gave up (did without until I
replaced the wireless hub).

If I wanted to get the wired connection working again, where should I start.
I don't have any cable debugging tools, just normal household stuff.

I suspect I made bad terminal connections, or handled the wire too roughly
during installation. If I were to do it over again, I'd buy a pre-made
100-ft cable, instead of connectors and boxes.

--
Yanni

TLUG requests: Linux topics, No...