headless vm host

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 15:23:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:02:59AM -0400, teddy-5sHjOODPK7E at public.gmane.org wrote:
> VBox cli I found cumbersome.
> Xen is for linux vm's only i believe.
> I have not used KVM

You should try it.

> I have used vmware ESXI.
> I like vmware ESXI since it works very well at the colo/datacenter
> Does all the linux distros and windows and many other os's as well.
> Plus the VIClient Virtual Infrastructure client is very easy to use.

Well I run win2k3 server, xp, 2k, bsd, and various other things under kvm.
No problems so far.

> I found vmware esxi the fastest and easiest to setup.
> And once setup, very quick+easy to install and admin new vm's

Well kvm is pretty simple to setup, and almost certainly will outperform
vmware (except for the graphics, which I think a still being worked on).

> Just make sure
>
> 1) all your hardware supports VMWare ESXI
> 2) you have lots of DDR2 (cheaper than DDR1)

These days with have kernel shared memory to help too, at least if you
actually run linux on the hardware.

> 3) lots of diskspace

Personally I would much rather deal with kvm than vmware.  I am fed
up with VMware's total lack of service and complete disregard for the
wishes of paying customers.  I know I have payed my last money to vmware.

--
Len Sorensen