headless vm host

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 15:25:05 UTC 2010

On 05/13/2010 11:02 AM, teddy-5sHjOODPK7E at public.gmane.org wrote:
> VBox cli I found cumbersome.
> Xen is for linux vm's only i believe.

Xen supports both paravirtualized and fully-virtualized guests. Running
Linux, Windows, Solaris, BSDs etc. is not a problem. So it is equally
capable.

> I have not used KVM
>
> I have used vmware ESXI.
> I like vmware ESXI since it works very well at the colo/datacenter
> Does all the linux distros and windows and many other os's as well.
> Plus the VIClient Virtual Infrastructure client is very easy to use.
>
> I found vmware esxi the fastest and easiest to setup.
> And once setup, very quick+easy to install and admin new vm's
>
> Just make sure
>
> 1) all your hardware supports VMWare ESXI
> 2) you have lots of DDR2 (cheaper than DDR1)
> 3) lots of diskspace

Everything here applies equally well to Xen, or any other hypervisor.

Xen is FOSS and has a great community going for it, as well as
commercial backing from Citrix ;) and developers working on it for SuSE.

Jamon