building a new kernel for ubuntu 10.04

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 12 20:27:32 UTC 2010

On 05/12/2010 02:15 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 05:09:29AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>   quick and dirty wiki page for building a new kernel for ubuntu
>> 10.04:
>>
>> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/New_kernel_on_Ubuntu_10.04
>>
>> let me know if i missed anything critical.
>
> How about missing out the making it into a .deb using make-kpkg.
> That seems like a major step to leave out.  make install and make
> module_install on the other hand should be left out of course.  That would
> also take care of update-initramfs and update-grub for you, and it is
> trivial to uninstall and clean up later.
>
> Essentially your whole installation section is wrong and should be
> replaced with a make-kpkg and dpkg -i step.

For make add -j to parallelize processes and speed up the compile, e.g.
make -j $(($(grep processor /proc/cpuinfo -c) + 1))
make -j $(awk -F "-" '{printf $2+2}' /sys/devices/system/cpu/possible)

Bash folk, syntax sanity check?

No point in wasting all but one of those cores in that fancy quad or
octal core box sitting under your desk ;)

Jamon