building a new kernel for ubuntu 10.04

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 12 18:15:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 05:09:29AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   quick and dirty wiki page for building a new kernel for ubuntu
> 10.04:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/New_kernel_on_Ubuntu_10.04
>
> let me know if i missed anything critical.

How about missing out the making it into a .deb using make-kpkg.
That seems like a major step to leave out.  make install and make
module_install on the other hand should be left out of course.  That would
also take care of update-initramfs and update-grub for you, and it is
trivial to uninstall and clean up later.

Essentially your whole installation section is wrong and should be
replaced with a make-kpkg and dpkg -i step.

--
Len Sorensen