Looking to use SIM card reader

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed May 12 10:39:26 UTC 2010

On Tue May 11,2010 09:33:39 PM William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> The next question - how do you talk to serial devices?

Unfortunately, that's roughly the same as asking "How do you talk to
an ethernet device". You have to know the higher level protocol that
this device uses. E.g. most "dial-up" type modems use "AT" protocol
to initiate calls. I don't know if there is a standard protocol in
the world of SIM card readers. If they're vendor specific then you
might need to get the documentation for this device.

Once you know what has to be sent and received to talk to the reader,
I may be able to help with configuring the port and communicating
with the device. You would treat ttyUSB0 the same as a real serial
port, such as ttyS0.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **