[OT] Getting out from behind a corporate firewall

Myles Braithwaite me-qIX3qoPyADtH8hdXm2+x1laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Mon May 10 16:56:51 UTC 2010

Download PortableApps[1] to a USB key. It would be easier to configure
everything when it is on your terms. Take a look at using the Proxy
Server thing built into Putty (I would suggest you installing this on
the USB drive with PortaPutty), there is a good blog post about
securing Firefox and Pidgin (at that time GAIM)[2].

The nice thing about having all this on a USB key is that if they for
what ever reason take away your workstation you don't have to be
worried about any files left behind and all your configuration is on
the USB key.

[1]: <http://portableapps.com/>
[2]: <http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/05/10/howto-secure-firefox-and-im-with-putty/>

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In June I start work on a ten month project for a company that makes network
> equipment for ISPs.
>
> I expect that they have a very tight firewall and web proxy.
>
> I want to be able to get out from it, of course.
>
> Nothing more than email and accessing photography web sites that are banned
> on most proxies.
>
> I have read about httptunnel. Is this the way to go?
>
> I will have an XP machine as client, and have a Linux server with a public
> IP at home.
>
> All thoughts welcome!
>
> Stephen

Myles Braithwaite