[OT] Getting out from behind a corporate firewall

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 10 16:00:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 10-05-10 11:26 AM, John Sellens wrote:
>>
>> | In June I start work on a ten month project for a company that makes
>> | network equipment for ISPs.
>> |
>> | I expect that they have a very tight firewall and web proxy.
>> |
>> | I want to be able to get out from it, of course.
>>
>> Instead of publically planning to circumvent company policy before
>> you even start, perhaps you might be better off if you ask your new
>> employer about network policies.
>>
>> Be a shame to get in trouble before you even start work ...
>>
>> John
>>
>> P.S. cough, ssh, cough
>>

> 1) I have no idea what, if any, policies they may have.
>
> 2) In my experience, IT departments have all the flexibility of a block of
> granite.
>

> 3) I will be working as an independent contractor, and do not expect to be
> signing a network access agreement
>
> 4) I am pretty sure port 22 would be monitored. I am thinking port 443.
>
> 5) It is easier to ask forgiveness than obtain permission.
>
> Stephen

For #5 It's also pretty easy to:
  iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -m mac --mac-source ${THATNEWGUY} -j DROP

For #2, isn't posting that on a list of techs/sysadmins somewhat
equivilent to walking into a biker bar and saying "Bikers are
@ssh*les*?" :-)

--
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support

“Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu