Maxtor Drive issue...

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 3 21:32:29 UTC 2010

| From: Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Maxtor drive. The drive was in an external USB case, and by mistake he
| connected an 18 volt power supply to the 12 volt connector... I had
| hoped when I spoke to my friend that the only thing damaged would be
| the USB to EIDE adapter, but there is visible damage to one of the
| chips on the drive itself. So as I see his options:
|
| - Find another Maxtor MaXLine II 300GB ATA/133 HD and attempt a drive
| control replacement (can anyone help here?).

Maybe this would work, maybe not.

You probably need a more precise model number.  Perhaps 5A300J0

Perhaps googling around this forum might help:
 <http://forum.hddguru.com/maxtor-6y080l0std-fried-voltage-regulator-board-replacement-t14185.html>
Or this one:
 <http://forums.storagereview.com/index.php/topic/23080-board-swap-in-maxline-ii-300gb/>

| - Turn it over to a professional data recovery firm (any suggestions
| as to who is good / local / reasonably prices).

Very expensive for a good job, I've heard.  You can also pay a lot for
a bad job.