Maxtor Drive issue...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 3 21:04:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 02:34:37PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> A friend of mine from WAY back has just arrive in Toronto with a dead
> Maxtor drive. The drive was in an external USB case, and by mistake he
> connected an 18 volt power supply to the 12 volt connector... I had
> hoped when I spoke to my friend that the only thing damaged would be
> the USB to EIDE adapter, but there is visible damage to one of the
> chips on the drive itself. So as I see his options:

The USB adapter part is actually powered by the USB bus.  Only the drive
is powered by the power connector.

> - Find another Maxtor MaXLine II 300GB ATA/133 HD and attempt a drive
> control replacement (can anyone help here?).

There are so many things that could go wrong there.  Firmware version
differences, whether the defect block map is stored on the drive or in
flash on the controller board, etc.

> - Turn it over to a professional data recovery firm (any suggestions
> as to who is good / local / reasonably prices).

I have never had to use one, so no idea.  Certainly the platter ought
to be in perfect condition in this case.

--
Len Sorensen