Just a test

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 2 01:54:29 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-01, at 16:58, John Sellens <jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> I send.
> emails you
>
> Mailing list software can be configured to send you a copy of your
> own messages, or to not send you a copy of your own messages.
> Mailman, for example, uses the "not metoo" setting to indicate
> that you should not receive copies of your own postings.
>
> Perhaps the mailing lists you are on don't send you copies
> of your own posts by default.  In some cases that may be a
> global setting, in others a per-subscriber setting.
>
> I don't know what mailing list software the tlug list uses.

It has been using Majordomo for lo many years, with some antispam
customization.

There gave been plans to migrate to Mailman for several years, but it
awaits  Drew having enough Round Tuits :-).

I don't imagine there's too much magic behind the scenes - I'm pretty
sure it isn't filtering on the basis of seeing "Test" as subject,
particularly when we're seeing the messages!

But it is quite possible, nay likely, that it's leaving the sender off
the list of recipients on the basis that sender has obviously already
seen the message.  I think that's what I normally observe (or, I
suppose, don't!)

> In many cases, you may be able to check if your messages
> are getting to the list by examining the list archives.
> The tlug archives are at:
>    http://news.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/
>
> Sometimes a messgae that says "test message" may be thought
> to be spam, or noise, and be either rejected, or held for
> review by the list owner.  Or even by your own spam filters.
> Similarly, messages to mailing lists that include lines
> indicating a desire to join or leave the list are often rejected.
>
> There are very few cases in which it makes any sense at all
> for a list member to send a "test message" to everyone else
> on a mailing list.  If you suspect you're having problems
> with a list, contact the list owner, who is likely in the
> best position to help you.  For all the other people on
> the list, it's just useless noise

The list isn't read by the admin (which strikes me as a potential sore
point, tho I leave it pretty unexamined), so I wouldn't be too
inclined to be terribly critical of this as "misuse" of the list.