Just a test

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Sat May 1 20:58:27 UTC 2010

| > Jason Carson wrote:
| >> What I don't understand is that you guys all receive the emails I send.
| >> Yahoo/Gmail/Hotmail all receive emails I send. I receive the emails you
| >> guys and others write but for some reason the emails I send to 2
| >> different
| >> mailing lists never appear for me???

Mailing list software can be configured to send you a copy of your
own messages, or to not send you a copy of your own messages.
Mailman, for example, uses the "not metoo" setting to indicate
that you should not receive copies of your own postings.

Perhaps the mailing lists you are on don't send you copies
of your own posts by default.  In some cases that may be a
global setting, in others a per-subscriber setting.

I don't know what mailing list software the tlug list uses.

In many cases, you may be able to check if your messages
are getting to the list by examining the list archives.
The tlug archives are at:
    http://news.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/

Sometimes a messgae that says "test message" may be thought
to be spam, or noise, and be either rejected, or held for
review by the list owner.  Or even by your own spam filters.
Similarly, messages to mailing lists that include lines
indicating a desire to join or leave the list are often rejected.

There are very few cases in which it makes any sense at all
for a list member to send a "test message" to everyone else
on a mailing list.  If you suspect you're having problems
with a list, contact the list owner, who is likely in the
best position to help you.  For all the other people on
the list, it's just useless noise.

Hope that helps.

John